Getting your passport

I often receive questions from prospective clients if I provide US passports. The answer is no, however I do provide the required US passport photos, as well as most international passport and visa photos.

Dual citizens and legal permanent residents need their original passports renewed every 5 to 10 years and are already familiar with the way of obtaining their passports. This page is intended for US citizens.

Next to having a US passport, as a US citizen, you might need a visa when going abroad to certain countries. You will have to check with your travel agent or embassy from the country you are visiting. Most destinations require a visa for each country, however for a short stay (90 days or less) in a lot of European destinations, called the Schengen area, only one visa is needed. Please check on this Schengen visa info website for more and current information. (

The following information below is obtained from the USA.GOV website. (

U.S. Passport Eligibility

To have a U.S. passport, you need to be a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization or be a U.S. national.

Passport Book and Passport Card

Depending on where you are traveling outside of the U.S., you will need to determine if you need a passport book or a passport card. A passport book is required for all international travel by air. To enter the United States at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda, you can use a passport book or a passport card. A passport card is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book, but it cannot be used for international travel by air.

How to Apply for a U.S. Passport

The application process is the same for either the passport book or card, even if you want both at the same time. You have to go in person to present your application. From Within the United States If you need to get a passport in seven weeks or less, you will need an expedited process. To find out where you need to go and what additional fees you’ll pay, follow the steps to get a passport quickly. If you will be traveling in more than seven weeks, you can follow the regular application process and apply in person at a passport acceptance facility.

Items You Need to Apply for a U.S. Passport

Application Form:

To complete the application for a passport book, card, or both together, first do one of the following: Fill out the application online. Use the Passport Application Wizard to step through the process of filling out the application. When you’ve completed the application, print it out to take to the passport acceptance facility. Passport applications cannot be submitted online. Fill out the application by hand. Download the passport application form (DS-11) and instructions and complete the application by hand, or go to a local passport acceptance facility to get a copy to fill out. Whether you fill it out online or by hand, it is important that you do not sign the form until you are instructed to do so in front of a passport designated official you will meet when applying in person.

Personal documents. You’ll need to bring all of the following:

An original proof of citizenship document.
An acceptable photo ID document.
A photocopy of the front and back of the citizenship document and photo ID document.
Passport photos.

Helpful links:


Passport acceptance facility:

Online passport Application Wizard:

Download the passport application form (DS-11):

Passport photos:


To book an appointment:
Please click here to book an appointment
Or call/text me at: 1-804-665-7908

Henrico Photo has been selected for the 2020 Best of Henrico Award in the Passport & Visa Services category by the Henrico Award Program.
(Henrico Photo also received the award in 2015 and 2016)